West Papua Refugee Relief Association Inc (WPRRA) was formed and registered by Papuan New Guineans and West Papuans who live in Port Moresby in 2007, as a relief, Charity and advocacy and no-profit organisation with the responsibility to moblize and distribute resources for the well-being of West Papuan refugees who have sought refuge in PNG as a result of continuous suppression under the Republic of Indonesia in the Western half of New Guinea Island or West Papua.
The West Papuan plight has been an ongoing struggle for self-determination since the annexation of the territory with the Republic of Indonesia.
The WPRRA was formed, registered and managed by PNG social justice activists and advocates of human rights. It is a charity, non-profit organisation based on service provision and goodwill of mankind, regardless of race, origin, creed, culture and language to restore dignity among the oppressed and suppressed.
Purpose and Objectives
- To assist West Papuan Refugees living in Papua New Guinea meet their social and economic needs;
- To advocate for the legal rights and status of West Papuan Refugees living in Papua New Guinea;
- To setup, operate and coordinate/manage health and education facilities in Papua New Guinea Refugee Care Centres;
- To assist and facilitate processes for West Papuan Refugees to seek third countries in cases where their rights to residency and such other legal status were being denied;
- To assist West Papua Refugees integrate into the mainstream socioeconomic life in Papua New Guinea; and
- To assist West Papua Refugees in Papua New Guinea contribute meaningfully to the socioeconomic well being of Papua New Guinea during their stay in the country as refugees, residents or citizens of Papua New Guinea.
Residency and Office and Contact Details please go to Contact Page
Areas of Activities
- Welfare and well-being of West Papuan Refugees
- Healthcare of West Papuan Refugees
- Education of West Papuan Refugees’ children and adults
For full information please visit: WPRRA Programmes